Friday, February 12, 2010

The Joys of Batch Painting

So, it's everyone's favorite method of painting: batch painting. Hours upon hours of the same color applied to the same parts of the same models, until your entire batch is complete! What could be better? /sarcasm

While it is a bit of a drag, I've found the rewards of batch painting (and having a place to go to where other like-minded individuals gather to perform a similar task as yours) to be quite adequate, despite the mind-numbing process involved.

That said, I have been slowly working my way through, oh, 27 guardsmen with assorted weaponry in one batch. The nice thing is that I get to see the entire group progress as a whole and finish as a whole. The bad is that fewer models are finished at an earlier time. I have not decided if this is a quicker process yet, but at least it will be a consistent one.

I have posted a few updates over at Warseer, most notably a TOE for the Arnan 317th Mechanized Infantry Regiment. I am pleased with the way the army is shaping up, and cannot wait until my next batch of Chimeras arrive. They're the older kit with the accessory sprue included (GW be damned for dropping this wonderful frame of plastic goodness out of its newer kits), but that means 5 sets of wheels and track links to assemble. Not too bad considering I'm not very fond of the new GW kit coming in March. The slimmed side skirts are nice, but not a big enough draw to make me miss out on the accessory kit with the track armor, et al. Plus, the turret is a bit on the boxy side, something that made me decide to forgo the standard Leman Russ kit for my MBT's in favor of the newer, sleeker, and in my opinion, improved version that is the Leman Russ Demolisher kit. Versatility in a box? Yes please.

But that's five more Chimeras to add to the list of armor that needs to be painted to finish off the mechanized elements of my IG. They should keep me busy. I also need to figure out where I am going to get my Griffons from. I may go all out for some Forge World models, or I can try my hand at converting the new Basalisk kit and see where it takes me. Either way, I have plenty on the table as it is.

On a similar note, I'm finding it very difficult to keep thoughts of Goff Kans arriving on my paint table to be sold on eBay come March. I'm really tempted to try my hand out on some conversions and painting techniques, and I think the new Kans kit will be a perfect opportunity to try some techniques if I decide to pick up my Orks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment